Segmented Gelli printing

After watching the talented Roben-Marie Smith use her Gelli plate to print segmented tags and papers, I was inspired to give it a try. I am very new to using the Gelli plate for printing so having a tutorial was really helpful. I tried not to create any muddy colors and am happy with my first results.

The stencils I used are from Tim Holtz, the larger ones seemed to give clearer images. I used book pages and envelopes to print on; I like the extra depth that text backgrounds add. I will probably use these in my junk journals.


Gelli Printing Fun!

Lately I have been enjoying You Tube videos about scrapbooking and I like that I can create my own playlist of the videos I want to see. What typically happens is I will set up a playlist and then watch while I am creating. The only problem is that I keep making projects or experimenting after the playlist is finished. If you leave the auto play button on, after your chosen videos are finished You Tube automatically plays more videos, mostly related to the type of videos you were watching.

This is how I fell into the lovely world of Gelli Printing. You need a Gelli plate, some inks or paint, and paper. It is also helpful to have a brayer or two, some stencils, and lots of counter or floor space for your prints. The link above has a how-to video and once you get started it is hard to stop!


The photo above is the result of my first try – I used two colors of paint and the one on the left is the first print, the middle is the second and the one on the right is the third print. As you can see the second and third prints are a lot like second generation stamping, where you stamp two or three times without re-inking your stamp. The paper was a card stock weight.


The rest of the prints used copy paper. I added a stencil and some purple paint to the top set and a stencil made from a cut file for the bottom set.


For these pages I used two stencils  – the top set you can see some of the turquoise paint from the previous print shows up on the image on the right. I really the like that print except for the turquoise paint transfer. Then I turned the stencil over for the print on the left. The bottom set used a stencil from a die and the holes were really small so when I made the print on the right the dots are small, when they show up at all. I turned the stencil over for the print on the left as I did for the top set.


Some different colors and another stencil from a die. These turned out okay but they are not my favorites.


I used a swirl from a cut file on the top prints and a brick mold for the bottom pages. I dislike the colors and the intensity of both of these sets of prints and will likely reprint on top of them of paint over them.


These prints are even more blah in color and pattern. Tried another die cut stencil and don’t like the way it came out.

I had fun experimenting with the Gelli plate and will definitely use it again soon, making sure I have lots of space ready to set the wet prints on to dry.